Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Louisville Science Center and Rogers Connections

Here is a popular walk activity in the World We Create area. This is a pyramid type bridge that I saw on there website so I built it when I was there last giving demonstrations.

I used Adobe Illustrator to create different shapes for the younger children to create. It seems like the kids coming up are maybe 4-7 years old so I review the basic shapes. Start with the triangle and then build a tetrahedron which they can spin. Move to making it a hexahedron or spinning diamond. If they are still interested go over the square and build a pentahedron with it. Then move to pentagon, hexagon and octagon which leads to talk about word prefixes.

Also tie the pyramids to enticing the visitors to see the Egyptian mummy in the Discovery Gallery.

No comments: