Saturday, December 09, 2006

Supplies to Carry in Vehicle

After the unfortunate events that befell that family in the Oregon wilderness, I thought about items that should be carried in the vehicle to help with emergency situations.

I try to carry 1 or 2 flashlights in the car. Usually, a D cell or AA cell Maglite. Other things I have:
  • poncho
  • pen
  • tire gauge
  • manual air pump
  • philips screwdriver
  • expired cell phone with charger (still works with 911 calls)
  • fire extinguisher
  • first aid kit
  • quarters and other change
  • phone book
  • sometimes a floor jack that can lift 2.25 tons
  • small shovel if chance of snow
  • 5 gallon bucket of sand in case of snow (more buckets for weight)
  • blankets in case of snow
  • bottled water (at least 3 bottles if snow)
  • saline for contacts
  • window reflector to keep sun out in summer when parked
  • Powerbars
  • canned tuna or fruit & can opener
  • sometimes in the winter, a candle in a sealed jar
  • thermometer to check vent air temperature

I think the things I use most are the air pump and tire gauge. I try to keep the tire pressure correct for better gas mileage and tire wear. I have helped a number of people with tire issues because of it.

The one thing I might add is an empty gasoline container. A couple of tools to add would be a cresent wrench and some adjustable pliers.

No comments: