Thursday, January 24, 2008

BluRay vs Upvert DVD

Recently, I visited one of my friends who has a Playstation 3 that contains a Bluray player. We compared Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl normal DVD with the Bluray version. He has a 65" DLP Toshiba HDTV and the picture looked nice.

After comparing the same scenes for several minutes, I found it hard to tell the difference between the two movies. Maybe it was the DVD player since the PS3 costs $300+. I need to compare our $40 upvert DVD player with a PS3 and see if the upverting is different.

I did not measure the picture size of each so it is possible one is larger than the other. They seemed the same size but should have measured just to make sure.

So we decided to hold off on getting a HD DVD player until the price comes down on the players and movies.

After playing some more movies on our upvert DVD player, we found some that will pause briefly while showing the movie. It is like it is having a decoding issue or something. So I put the old DVD player back in place so we have a choice of playing the movie on either player.

No comments: